- Ref: R-STR-1041-00-B
- Starting date: any time before 31/03/2019r
- Duration: 14-months initial contract, extendable up to 3 years, further extendable by 1 year if required, 40 hours/week
- Student and employee status
- Applications can be handed at any time, they will be reviewed regularly.
- Conduct research in Mathematics under the guidance of a professor, with the aim of stuying towards a PhD in Mathematics
- Publish research results and present them at conferences, workshops, etc.
- Teaching duty of up to 60 hours per year
- Master's Degree (or equivalent) in Mathematics or related disciplines of high quality; it is possible to apply if the respective degree is to be obtained soon (details to be given in the application)
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Dedication to doing Mathematics at research level
- Willingness to integrate in a team
- The Mathematics Research Unit at the University of Luxembourg offers a dynamic environment with a large number of ongoing scientific activities (English as working language)
- Financial support for participating in scientific activities (workshops, conferences, summer schools, etc.)
- Attractive salary
- Membership of the Doctoral School in Science and Engineering at the University of Luxembourg with an interesting offer of various scientific and transferable trainings
PhD Advisors and Research Areas
- Prof.Jean-Luc Marichal: Mathematics of Operations Research, decision mathematics, functional equations
- Prof.Sergei Merkulov: Geometry, algebra and mathematical physics, deformation quantization, operads and props, graph complexes, Grothendieck-Teichmüller group
- Prof. Ivan Nourdin: Stochastic analysis, Malliavin calculus, theoretical modeling
- Prof. Martin Olbrich: Harmonic analysis, symmetric spaces
- Prof.Hugo Parlier: Low dimensional geometry and topology, moduli and Teichmüller spaces, systolic geometry.
- Prof.Giovanni Peccati: Stochastic Analysis, Random Fields and Stochastic Geometry
- Prof.Norbert Poncin: Higher Geometry, Homotopical Algebra and Mathematical Physics
- Prof.Jean-Marc Schlenker: Geometric structures on 3-dimensional manifolds and geometric analysis
- Prof.Gabor Wiese: Number Theory, Arithmetic Geometry, Computer Algebra
- Letter of motivation containing compulsorily :- a ranked list of up to three PhD advisors from the above list with a motivation of the choice - motivation for conducting PhD research in Mathematics - motivation for applying in Luxembourg
- Full CV
- Transcript of academic records and copies of diplomas
- Names of at least two references who are willing to write a letter of recommendation on the candidate's behalf (they may be contacted by us)
- The positions are funded by the Fonds National de la Recherche Luxembourg in the PRIDE scheme, and are still subject to finalising administrative procedures.
- Administrative questions shall be addressed to email@example.com
- Scientific questions should be addressed to the corresponding potential PhD advisor
- The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer and applications by women are especially encouraged
Please apply online by clicking the button below.