Contracts duration: 2 years with a possible renewal for a third year.
Applicants are invited for Postdoctoral positions at Politecnico di Milano (PoliMI - Department of Mechanical Engineering) funded by the ERC Starting Grant “Laser Ablation: SElectivity and monitoRing for OPTImal tuMor removal”.
We are looking for candidates with a strong research potential, interested in investigating thermometry and predictive mathematical models of biomedical phenomena.
The research activities defined by the LASER OPTIMAL project focus on the development of a technological platform for laser ablation in cancer treatment, and in particular: physical simulations for treatment settings planning, nanoparticles-mediated laser ablation to improve the treatment selectivity, real-time monitoring of the thermal effects, intra-operative adjustment of the pre-planned settings.
Particular attention will be paid to candidates who already have some experience working on one or more of the following topics: optical-thermal response of laser irradiated tissue, thermal measurements, measurement of physiological parameters, design and manufacturing of fiber optic based sensors for biomedical applications (e.g., fiber Bragg gratings), laser systems, signal processing.
- PhD in Biomedical/Mechanical/Electronic Engineering, Physics, and related disciplines;
- interest in the aspects of temperature measurement for biomedical purposes, and in design, development and characterization of measuring systems.
Particular attention will be paid to candidates who already have some experience working on one or more of the following topics: heat transfer modeling in biological tissue, optical-thermal response of laser irradiated tissue, medical image processing (e.g., MRI, CT), software development for real-time physics simulation of the human body, real-time simulations, virtual reality, computer science for medical applications.
- PhD in Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, Physics, and related disciplines;
- interest in the aspects of physical modeling for biomedical purposes, and in biomedical imaging processing.
For both profiles, the following features are highly desired:
- working knowledge of Matlab;
- demonstrated record of relevant experience with publications and training;
- fluent English (spoken and written);
- experience in lab management (e.g., quotation inquiry, negotiation with suppliers) will be also positively considered.
The successful candidates will join the research unit “Mechanical and Thermal Measurements” at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of Politecnico di Milano (PoliMi). PoliMi provides excellent research conditions, in a quiet environment inside the active Milan region: in the QS ranking by subject PoliMi is the first Italian University in several research areas (Including Mechanical Engineering), among the first 6 European Universities in Europe and among the first 20 all over the world.
The postdoctoral researcher will have the opportunity to attend and present research results in conferences and symposia, to collaborate with national and international partners (in France and United States) and to visit their laboratories. The monthly net salary is highly competitive (approx. 1,800 €) and can be adjusted in function of the experience.
Applications should be sent by email (all documents in English) to the contact below, and include:
- list of publications and oral communications;
- motivation letter (max 1 page);
- summary of previous research activities (max 2 pages);
- contact details for two references.
PI of the LASER OPTIMAL Project