KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Production engineering (IIP) includes techniques which mainly concern engineer technical development of products, processes, systems and methods that have direct impact on this production. The area includes everything from engineering aspects of manufacturing to assembly of components for functional products and recycling issues associated with these disciplines.
The research group in manufacturing and metrology systems within the department of production engineering is offering a doctoral student position focusing on modelling and measurement of the process-machine interaction in metal cutting. The successful candidate will join a research group that is focusing on novel design and modelling methodologies for controlling machining systems kinematic, static, dynamic and thermal properties by utilising precision engineering principles.
The position is associated with the following sub-topics:
- Measurement of machine tools and cutting process physical properties
- Modelling of machine tool and cutting process physical properties
- Uncertainty analysis and error budgets
- Verification and validation (V&V) trough experiments
The doctoral student will be responsible to develop new strategies for modelling and measurement of the process-machine interaction in metal cutting, involving:
- Development of a generic model representing the machine tool static and dynamic properties
- Identification and evaluation of static and dynamic characteristics of the interaction between machine tool and cutting process during highly time and spatial varying cutting conditions
- Planning and running experiments for validation and verification (V&V)
Furthermore, the applicant should also support teaching activities, such as co-supervisioning of master student.
The candidate must hold a master degree (in mechanical engineering, sound- and vibrations, production engineering, mechatronics or equivalent area). We are looking for a strongly motivated person, who is able to work good ability to work independently, as well as in cross-cultural and cross-functional teams. Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills are a requirement. Excellent command of English orally and in writing is required.
It is considered meritorious if the candidate has:
- Experience of working with/developing modelling approaches for mechanical systems structural dynamic analysis
- Knowledge about traditional and modern instrumentation for dynamic characterisation of mechanical systems
- Experience in MATLAB/Simulink program as well as Finite element programming proficiency
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH:s webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your application should include the following information/documents:
1. Curriculum Vitae (incl. relevant professional experiences and skills)
2. Cover Letter (incl. a brief motivation to why you want to engage in research studies, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and goals, max. 2 pages)
3. Copy of degree certificate from previous university degree including grades (translated into Swedish or English if the documents are in other languages)
4. Publications or technical reports (for documents longer than 10 pages: add the abstract and a link to the full version)
5. Contact information to two references (that we can contact if you proceed to the last step in the process)
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months