Short description of the position/project:
In 2018 EURAC research will complete its research and test infrastructure called terraXcube. The heart of this novel facility is made up of two large environmental chambers, able to simulate different conditions such as temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure up to 9000m, rain, snow and wind. Tests inside these chambers will include scientific research on mountain emergency medicine, alpine environment and industrial components. To complete the project team and to secure a smooth transition from construction/ realisation phase to operational phase, EURAC is now looking for a LEAD ENVIRONMENTAL TEST ENGINEER.
The successful candidate will provide support to the engineering team until project completion and then move into an operational role as the chamber’s lead environmental test engineer.
In this realisation phase, the candidate will be responsible for managing the final commissioning of terraXcube and integrating all technical project requests of the end users/groups.
Key responsibilities of this phase include:
- Acting as technical advisor to the project manager and other internal departments.
- Tracking all requirements throughout the project’s duration, ensuring their efficient implementation.
- Providing support for purchasing or subcontracting, manufacturing, field installations, and support activities by providing liaison and technical assistance.
- Continuous review of all technical solutions proposed by the external engineering companies.
- Supporting the commissioning process of the chambers and setting the approval for all functions.
- Supporting the “handshake process” from commissioning to take over, including the quality check of all deliverables.
In the operational phase the candidate will be responsible for the realisation of all tests scheduled in the two chambers, troubleshooting any technical issues and ensuring successful, safe operation.
Key responsibilities of this phase include:
- Developing pre-documentation for specific tests designs and relevant schedules.
- Preparation of all chambers prior to each test scenario.
- Controlling and closely monitoring the safe operation of all chamber functions during test scenarios.
- Troubleshooting any chamber malfunction.
- Managing the maintenance processes of all systems and sub-systems of the chambers according to the maintenance plan, plus updating the plan when necessary.
- Documenting and recording all tests, in the form of written assessments detailing chamber functionality and performance during each environmental simulation.
Problem solving, communication, sound judgment, initiative, resilience, flexibility
- Technical university degree, preferably in Engineering. Knowledge of and/or experience in media supply (HVAC, water, gas).
- Work experience in the operation of climatic chambers as the technical lead. Operational knowledge and experience in hypobaric chambers is considered a strong plus.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant working experience in environmental testing, environment engineering (Cooling-Vacuum Technology, etc.), with international contacts.
- Knowledge of climatic/dynamic testing in differing fields of expertise (human/ material/ automobile), as well as the operation of additional relevant test equipment.
- Work experience relating to data acquisition systems and instrumentation.
- Experience working with and interpreting schematic diagrams/drawings of test facilities and equipment.
- Knowledge of CO2-based cooling systems is preferable but not essential.
- Basic knowledge of Project Management processes and environment.
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and associated design software.
- Very good command of the English language.
- Basic knowledge of Italian and/or German, or a commitment to acquire it rapidly is a must.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter in English and further relevant documents) by the 30.04.2018 to the following address:
Viale Druso 1 – 39100 Bolzano
Email: email@example.com www.eurac.edu
Tel: +39 0471 055 550 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 549
For further information please contact Andrea Nollo: Tel: +39 0471 055 546
Project 1ALP_EUR CUP B83G13000420003
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: “I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings”.